Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Overflow

It was time to build the overflow.  Ideally, it should have been built before the tank was filled with water and live rock.  However, time wasn't permitting as I was going to Ottawa for a few weeks and I wanted the tank to cycle while I was away.

Nonetheless, I started building the overflow... with the tank filled!!!  

DISCLAIMER: I don't advise doing this as the drilling, along with the added pressure of the water, could be disasterous.

Holes were drilled into the tank.  I chose to have two holes, should one of the bulkheads get clogged up from any wandering snails.


Then the bulkheads were installed.  I chose 1" bulkheads.


I wanted a tank without an overflow already built in, as I find the pre-built overflows take up too much space.  Therefore, it was time to build an overflow out of black acrylic.


 And after 24 hours of glue time, here it is put together.



I dropped the water level so that I could install it, glued the overflow in place and waited another 24 hours.  This gave me time to start the plumbing.  Here it is installed at the bulkheads.  The PVC glue also took 24 hours to dry, which is fine, as I had to wait for the overflow's silicone to dry anyways.




The next day, I filled the tank up to the teeth of the overflow to test for leaks.  Awesome, no leaks!




No comments:

Post a Comment