Saturday, August 31, 2013

Revitalization of Regala's Reef

It's been a little over nine months since my last post, as well as any substantial changes to the system.  During that time, I've just been maintaining the tank.  It's unfortunate when life get's in the way of our hobbies.  Changing careers tends to shift one's priorities.  Nonetheless, recent changes have allowed me to switch my focus back to reefkeeping.  I must admit, it's quite refreshing to come back to the hobby after a hiatus.

Perhaps the only recent change is with the bio pellets.  In my previous post, I had reintroduced bio pellets into the system, however, the Maxijet 1200 pump just wasn't sufficient enough to keep the pellets tumbling, at least not the amount of bio pellets that I need to use, and would periodically clog up. Therefore, I removed it from the system until I find a better implementation.

For some time now, I've had some plans for the system and I plan to pick away at the list until I've implemented them:

  • Replace the metal halide lighting with LEDs, specifically, with Ecotech Radion lights.
  • Replace the Tunze pumps, specically, with Ecotech MP40w ES pumps.
  • Reintroduce bio pellets with a better implementation into the system.
  • Create new structures with Marco rock and introduce new aquascape into the system.
  • Once the system's parameters are optimal, begin reestablishing an SPS dominant reef.
  • Complete the system's enclosure.
  • Implement an auto top-off unit with a better water reserve.
  • Install a UV filter.
      (I will link each item in the list to a separate post, during its progress.)

I look forward to working on the system and getting it to a state that I can be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment