Friday, September 30, 2011

New Inverts and Corals from Eastern Reef

Today, one of my local fish stores, Eastern Reef, acquired a new shipment of livestock.  My cleaning crew was getting low and needed to be replenished so I picked up twenty-five snails consisting of Astrea Snails, Cerith Snails, Nassarius Snails, and Black Conch Pygmy Snails.  

As well, I've always wanted to add a large conch snail to the reef, as they always remind me of the ocean.  Therefore, I also picked up a Florida Fighting Conch.



I also picked up some corals to add to the reef.  I added a Purple Plume Gorgonian, which are photosynthetic... meaning, they draw their food source from the light, as well as filtering the water column for food.  Notice the polyps on its branches, with which it filters the water.  This specimen is a fair size and I had to mount him onto live rock in order for him to stand.



Also, I picked up a small frag of a Green Monti Cap (Monitpora Capricornus).  They are an SPS coral, but unlike the branching structure of an Acropora SPS, the Monti Cap tend to scroll and forms a cylindrical shape.  My frag is already beginning to scroll.


Monti Caps are fairly fast growers and, in a few months, I will upload another image to compare how quickly its grown.


No comments:

Post a Comment